These lasting makeup products and tricks will get you ready to rock any party that comes your way.
From family gatherings to parties and Chinese New Year visiting, and from subtle shimmers to dramatic hues, here’s how to ensure your makeup stays immaculate (at least until dessert or after the last dance).
The trick to getting your makeup to survive the night lies in choosing the right texture (creams last longer than powders) and in layering your makeup.
Choose matte or fill lips with a lip liner under your regular lipstick and you’re good to go until dawn.
1. Chanel Precision Lip Definer in 156 Beige Natural, $35
Great for lining and as a base to improve makeup hold, as well as prevent lipstick from smudging or feathering.
2. Giorgio Armani Beauty Lip Maestro in #400G, $55
Glam up your lips instantly with classic red. This holiday edition shade also comes infused with a touch of gold, making it perfect for any all-nighter party.
3. M.A.C Retro Matte Liquid Lipcolour Metallics in Retrograde, $39
This statement-making red comes in a budgeproof, eight-hour, long-wearing formula that will not feather or bleed.
4. Candylab Lip Stalker 04 Copycat, $19
Its creamy texture glides on effortlessly but it is so lightweight, it dries to a matte finish that stays transfer-proof all night.
The last thing you want to fret about when you’re having a blast, is to worry about your mascara flopping or smudging. For pencil-straight lashes, waterproof mascaras are best for lasting curl.
5. Diorshow Pump ‘N’ Volume Waterproof Mascara, $54
This mascara, which comes in a squeezable tube, glides, coats and defines every lash perfectly.
6. Lancome Grandiose Waterproof, $50
It leaves lashes with a stylishly black and glossy finish. Its wand and brush are also specially shaped to allow you to reach even the smallest lash.
7. Heroine Make Super Waterproof Mascara in Brown, $21.90, available in Long & Curl or Volume & Curl
It claims to help lashes stay curled for more than 24 hours, and is resistant to water, sweat, sebum and smudging.
There’s no need to sweat over whether brow tails have disappeared or whether your brows are still filled in with these products.
8. 3CE Longwear Tattoo Eyebrow Marker in Ash Brown, $20
This super-lasting henna brow marker goes on easily and is long-staying enough to last up to a week.
9. Pixi Beauty Natural Brow Duo in Natural Brown, $35
Fill in the sparse spots with the pencil side, using short, light strokes or press harder for stronger colour. Use the gel end to shape, tame and keep brows in place.
10. Make Up For Ever Aqua Brow Waterproof Eyebrow Corrector, $52
Its creamy gel texture is great for filling, defining and lengthening brows easily.
Applying a cream eyeshadow base or primer on the eyelids is a sure way of intensifying and preventing your eye colours from fading.
11. Charlotte Tilbury Luxury Eyeshadow Palette in The Bella Sofia, $90
These wearable and highly pigmented shades are buildable and blendable, making it easy for you to layer on and switch from a day to night look.
12. Laura Mercier Eye Basics Primer in Buff, $45
Wear under powder eyeshadow to help prevent creases, extend colour wear and enhance the intensity of eyeshadow.
13. BBIA Cashmere Shadow Blanc Series, $12.90 each
For a bit of K-beauty drama, these eyeshadows come in game-changing textures and colours that let you mix and match for your desired colour finish and look.
14. Nars Metal Creme Multi-Use Palette, $65
These six versatile metallic creams can be used to create a variety of looks for your eyes, cheeks and body.
Lining the eyes completes the eye makeup look. Draw close to the lash line, including the tightline, to open up the eyes and make your lashes look fuller.
15. Shiseido Kajal Inkartist in 04 Azuki Red, $38
This 4-in-1 liner can be used as a kajal, eyeshadow and brow colour (depending on the shade). Weightless in a formula that turns from solid to liquid upon application, and also water-resistant for up to 24 hours.
16. Kate Fit Rare Gel Pencil, $19.90
It’s ideal for drawing the waterline with its super fine 1.5mm tip and waterproof formula that makes it resistant to sweat, tears and sebum.
17. Dejavu Cream Pencil Eyeliner, $19
Great for tight lining, simply twist up the 1mm tip and start drawing.
A touch of rosy glow on the cheeks can transform your complexion from dull and tired to perky and radiant.
18. Benefit Cosmetics Benetint Cheek & Lip Stain, $54
Made to create a stain effect, blend immediately with your fingertips after swiping colour onto cheeks for a lasting wash of colour.
19. Clinique Cheek Pop in Melon Pop, $40
For a pop of tropical colour, start by swirling on the apples of cheeks for a light wash of colour, then add another layer for a more striking shade.
20. Urban Decay Sin Afterglow Palette 8-Hour Highlighter & Blush, $62
With three highlighters and three blushers, you can customise your blusher effects to suit any look you’re after.
A version of this article first appeared on herworld.com.