Feeling burnt out? It’s okay to take a break. Follow these 7 tips to rediscover your enthusiasm and energy.
Research shows that being in nature can boost happiness levels. Photo: Ann Dudko / 123rf.com
- Eat. Drink. Sleep. And repeat. You’ve probably cheated – a lot – in the basic maintenance game. Sleep as much as possible, don’t skip meals, eat right and drink lots of water. You’ll feel much better once you work these into your routine.
- Just say “no”. Cut back as much as possible on new commitments and responsibilities. Force yourself to take breaks between big assignments.
- Rewind. A busy schedule makes you forget things you once found interesting. Resurrect those carefree memories and find ways to inject leisure back into your life.
- Work out. Stop making excuses – there are plenty of ways to incorporate exercise into your routine. A creative one: Keep lightweight dumbbells in your car and do bicep curls whenever you’re stuck in traffic!
- Hang out with Happy. Positive people have a lot of energy and their enthusiasm tends to lift the spirits of those around them. Hang out with these upbeat folks and avoid the naysayers.
- Try an “extreme vacation”. If you love a challenge, consider adventure travel. Being in the great outdoors will also do wonders for your mood.
- Own it. No one can tell you exactly how to relax or “find balance”. Discover your own groove – one that works for you and your lifestyle – and make the commitment to stick with it.