Because, really, the last thing you need is for your skin to feel greasy after you’ve just got rid of the excess sebum.
Sunscreen formulas have come a long way since the beauty industry realised that it’s an essential step in everyone’s skincare routine, regardless of your skin type or where you live. If you’re not into the whitish cast that physical sunscreens leave behind, you can opt for a chemical sunscreen.
Things become a bit trickier when you have oily skin. Because sunscreens, which are generally made to be lasting and water- and sweat-resistant to actually protect you when you’re under the sun, can also feel like they’re leaving a greasy finish behind. Here are six with lightweight formulas that get absorbed so quickly, you won’t feel like they’re just adding to the sebum that your skin is already producing.
1. Anessa Perfect UV Sunscreen Mild Milk SPF 50+ PA++++, $13.90 for 20ml – $39.90 for 60ml, from selected Watsons and Watsons online, BHG and Don Don Donki
This milky sunscreen spreads easily and gives a smooth and non-sticky finish that’s perfect for those with normal or oily complexions. Besides being free of fragrance and parabens, this sunscreen also does not have octinoxate and oxybenzone – two coral-bleaching ingredients, so it’s reef-friendly too.
2. Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence, $18.90 for 50g, from leading pharmacies, supermarkets, hypermarkets, Don Don Donki and Welcia BHG
This lightweight sunscreen utilises a technology where the UV protective particles are so small that they cover even the tiniest of gaps (not-so-enlarged pores, we’re looking at you) in skin to protect it from UV rays. It also has unique water capsules that release moisture upon application so skin feels light and refreshed too.
3. AHC Natural Perfection Moist Sun Cream, from selected Watsons and Watsons online, Lazada, Zalora and Shopee
A moisturiser with SPF, this face cream also brightens and hydrates the skin with hyaluronic acid and a water-binding sugar.
(Also read: 10 Things Every Busy Girl Needs in Her Gym Bag)
4. Soleil Toujours 100% Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30, $38 – $58, from Sephora
This mineral sunscreen is packed with ingredients such as antioxidants and vitamins to keep skin hydrated while boosting protection against skin damage caused by free radicals. It also has aloe vera leaf juice to soothe and cool skin.
5. Jurlique UV Defence Lotion SPF50 High Protection Lotion PA ++++, $67 for 50ml, from Jurlique
Packed with an anti-pollution protection complex and ingredients such as chamomile, calendula and marshmallow root extracts, this helps protect against environmental aggressors to prevent premature skin ageing. It also has echinacea and paracress extracts to balance sebum production in skin.
6. Kiehl’s Dermatologist Solutions Ultra Light Daily UV Defense Aqua Gel SPF 50 PA++++, $56 for 30ml, from Kiehl’s
With an unscented, non-comedogenic and lightweight formula, this sunscreen is especially suited for humid climates such as that of Singapore’s and people with oily skin. It is absorbed into skin quickly to diminish the appearance of enlarged pores and doesn’t leave a shiny finish.
(Also read: Best Organic Facials For Oily Skin)