By nailing these Insta-worthy acai bowls on your own, there’s the value-added option to make them healthier. By Janice Sim
Everyone can’t seem to get enough of the hottest health food trend – the acai (ah-sah-ee) bowl that probably has been taking over your Instagram feed. This pretty end product is stemmed on the superfood acai berry that boasts many health benefits such as aiding in weight loss and digestion, boosting heart and skin health etc.
Photo: Screengrab from Instagram
Indeed it can be hard to resist the beautiful temptation of an acai bowl, especially when you can easily get your acai fix at a few cafes now in Singapore. However the healthier option, is to make them on our own, by cutting down on sugar and other types of fat that goes into your acai bowl. Surprisingly, the process is easy and less tedious than you actually thought it would be, here’s how!
Where to get the star of your dish- acai berry puree:
You can find Acai by Selva, which contains premium acai berry puree, coconut sugar and lemon, also free of dairy or any gluten preservatives and colouring at The Organic Grocer (17 Mohd Sultan Rd), Four Seasons Organic Market (Parkway Parade) and Zircon Swis Gourmet (25 Yong Siak St) at $25 per 500g tub.
The delicious recipe that serves one:
Now that you’ve obtained your main ingredient, try making your own acai bowl. The trick to making it healthier is to eliminate toppings and sweeteners like chocolate or syrup, load up on protein like chia seeds and add greens into the mix.
Here’s a recipe that you can try out from Nutrition Stripped, a health food blog helmed by Nashville-based dietitian nutritionist McKel.
– 1 packet of frozen organic acai berry puree
– 2 handfuls of organic spinach
– 1 frozen banana
– 1/2 cup coconut milk, unsweetened
– 2 tablespoons of chia seeds (to be soaked for at least 20 minutes in coconut milk)
– A dash of cinnamon
– Ice for thickening
– Add all your ingredients into a high speed blender until it’s thick and creamy.
– The texture should be very thick, if it’s too thick, add more coconut milk.
– If it’s not thick enough to stay on a spoon, add more ice or frozen bananas.
– Plate the mixture in a bowl with toppings of your choice. Some delicious options to consider: goji berries, granola, museli, raw nuts, fresh fruit and avocado.
– Lastly, be sure to instagram your masterpiece before digging in!