Both white fungus and lotus seeds are good sources of protein. They’re also believed to benefit the skin and digestive system.
Recipe: White Fungus Lotus Seed Dessert
1 piece dried white fungus
20 pieces lotus seeds
7 pieces dried red dates
1½ litres water
½ tbsp wolfberries
12 pieces rock sugar
1. Wash white fungus thoroughly and soak overnight in water. It will plump up and become soft and translucent. Rinse well and snip into smaller pieces.
2. Wash lotus seeds and soak in clean water for 1 hour, or until they soften.
3. Wash red dates. Cut into half and remove the seeds.
4. In a pot, bring water to a boil and put in white fungus, lotus seeds and red dates. Simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Add in wolfberries and rock sugar, and cook until sugar dissolves. Taste to adjust sweetness. Serve hot.
A version of this article first appeared on www.youngparents.com.sg.