Dig into this hearty quiche without guilt. By Joyce Teo
Photo: Health Promotion Board
Enjoy this healthier spinach and cheese quiche recipe this festive season. Just remember to indulge in moderation! (Also Read: 5 Things You Must Do to Avoid Overeating This Festive Season)
SPINACH & CHEESE QUICHE
Prep time: 10min
Cook time: 30min
INGREDIENTS (SERVES FOUR)
1 large bunch baby spinach (100g) (can replace with ¾ to 1 cup of other vegetables such as broccoli or frozen vegetables)
150g cherry tomatoes, halved or normal tomatoes, diced
1 cup (90g) grated parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ onion, chopped
1 tbsp canola oil
2 slices wholemeal bread, chopped into pieces
1 cup (250ml) low-fat milk
Pepper, to taste
• Pre-heat oven to 180 deg C. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
• Roughly chop spinach leaves.
• Whisk eggs and pepper in a bowl until small bubbles appear.
• Add spinach, tomatoes, cheese, garlic, onion, milk and pepper to eggs. Stir well.
• Spoon mixture into prepared muffin holes. Press bread pieces into the mixture with the back of a spoon.
• Bake for 30 minutes or until firm to the touch.
• Cool in pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack. Serve.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)
Total fat: 20.9g
Dietary fibre: 2.7g
Source: HPB. A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on December 20, 2016, with the headline ‘Enjoy festive food without guilt‘.