Make this chickpea and avocado salad your go-to for an easy, healthy meal that includes your daily serving of healthy fat and dietary fibre.
If you want something light but filling for lunch, this high-protein chickpea and avocado salad might make the cut. Its fresh and simple ingredients are easily available at supermarkets and make a mighty healthy meal choice, especially after an entire weekend of binge eating. Read on and find out how to impress your family and friends with this creamy, tangy and crunchy salad.
Serves 1 | Preparation time: 5 Minutes
For the salad
- 1 cup salad greens
- 1 avocado
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas
- 1/4 cup grapes
- 1/3 medium cucumber
- 2 sprigs cilantro
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- juice from 1/2 small lemon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- a pinch of black pepper
- If you are not using canned chickpeas, boil 1/4 cup of pre-soaked dry chickpeas in lightly salted water for 60 minutes. Tip: Store some boiled chickpeas in your refrigerator to have them at hand for simple recipes like this!
- Meanwhile, wash your salad greens, tomato, avocado, grapes, cucumber and cilantro.
- Place the chopped vegetables and cooked chickpeas in a huge salad bowl.
- Lightly toss the salad with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the ingredients with olive oil and lemon juice. Mix it up to ensure the dressing is spread evenly.
This is a versatile salad recipe that ensures a well-rounded amount of protein, healthy fat and fibre so feel free to switch the chickpeas out for other forms of protein like canned tuna, egg, chicken or salmon. Here are some bite-sized facts about the ingredients:
Healthy fatty acids in the avocado keep hunger at bay with its satiating properties. This creamy fruit also keeps your skin moisturised and supple for a more youthful appearance.
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are a fantastic source of plant-based protein. These legumes are complex carbohydrates that release a steady supply of energy to your body to keep you up and running, hours after you have eaten.
Grapes add a second layer of depth to your grub as their juicy and sweet flavour stands out amongst the other ingredients.
Cilantro is a powerful herb that provides you with an array of vitamins and minerals at the cost of virtually no calories.