Prep and have this dish ready for dinner in no time. By Estelle Low
Love a fiery kick in your food? Whip up this spicy tofu with lemongrass and basil, created by Chef Shalu Asnani of Little Green Kitchen, in just 40 minutes. (Also try these 10 unusual vegetables for Meatless Mondays.)
Recipe: Spicy Tofu with Lemongrass and Basil (serves 2)
Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
> 2 stalks fresh lemongrass
> 1 tbsp light soya sauce
> 2 Thai chilli padi, ﬁnely chopped
> 1 tsp sugar
> 1 tsp ground turmeric
> ½ tsp salt
> 2 tsp vegetable oil
> 200g ﬁrm tofu (tau kwa)
> 4 tbsp marinade
> 1 tbsp vegetable oil
> 1 small red onion, ﬁnely sliced
> 2 cloves garlic, crushed
> 40g Thai or sweet basil leaves
> 2 tbsp roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
> 2 tsp fresh lime juice
1. Crush lemongrass to loosen layers. Slice off ends, then peel and discard tough outer layers. Finely chop tender white portions only.
2. To make marinade, mix chopped lemongrass, soya sauce, chillies, sugar, turmeric, salt and oil.
3. Rinse tofu and pat dry with paper towels. Slice into 1cm thick blocks, and then diagonally across to form triangles. Arrange in single layer on large plate without any gaps in between.
4. Pour marinade over tofu slices and spread evenly. Let sit for 15 minutes – or up to 60 minutes.
5. Heat oil in wok over medium and saute onion as well as garlic until soft and fragrant. When done, push to one side.
6. Add tofu and stir gently, then mix with onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat for about ﬁve to seven minutes, stirring occasionally until tofu is browned around the edges and onion is soft.
7. Stir in basil and chopped peanuts. Turn off heat and drizzle with lime juice. Serve with steamed jasmine rice.
Nutrition score per serving
367 calories, 27.3g fat (2.8g saturated), 9.6g carbs, 20.1g protein, 5.5g ﬁbre, 886mg sodium, 0mg cholesterol
Chef Shalu Asnani is the founder of Little Green Kitchen, a cooking studio and food consultancy specialising in creative vegetarian cooking classes, private dining and menu consulting.