Yes, cheesecakes can be made healthier too! By Dawn Chen
Photo: Lean Bento
Round up your dinner with a slice of cheesecake – a guilt-free one, that is. The good folks at Lean Bento have shared this yummy, healthy cheesecake recipe that features the use of superfood sweet potato.
455g Fat-free cream cheese
150g Organic coconut sugar
3ml Organic vanilla extract
2 Whole large eggs
120g Mashed sweet potatoes
4g Ground cinnamon
2g Ground nutmeg
80g Organic graham crackers
Olive Oil Spray
1. Prepare sweet potato by either baking or steaming (this keeps the nutrients), then mash it up.
2. Mix cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
3. Add eggs; mix until blended. Do not overbeat after adding eggs.
4. Remove one cup batter; set aside to mix with mashed sweet potato.
5. Stir spices (cinnamon and nutmeg) into the remaining batter.
6. Smash graham crackers into fine crumbs.
7. Spray 9-inch (23cm) pie plate with olive oil spray; pack the bottom of pie plate firmly with crumbs.
8. Pour spiced batter onto crust. Top with sweet potato batter.
9. Bake at 160 deg C for 45 minutes or until centre is almost set.
10. Cool the cake. Refrigerate three hours (or overnight) before serving.
Nutritional information (per serving)
Good fat 2g
*Special thanks to Lean Bento and Singapore Medical Group (SMG) for providing the recipe and nutritional information.