Eating healthy doesn’t have to be a chore.
We are fans of keeping things simple. There are already plenty of complications in life and seemingly never enough hours in the day to get everything done (I’m pretty sure that’s not just us, right?).
So, we are here to share 10 super simple hacks that will boost your nutritional intake in a flash!
- Add chia seeds to smoothies to help increase fibre intake, fibre is necessary for a healthy digestive system.
- Boost antioxidant intake by adding a handful of spinach or kale to smoothies.
- Swap meat for plant-based proteins a few times weekly, some easy options include legumes, nuts and seeds and tofu.
- Aim for ½ plate vegetables at each meal as a simple way to boost vegetable intake and overall nutrient density of your diet.
- Avoid getting caught off guard just because the weather has warmed up and continue to support immunity! Immune supportive foods include:
- Zinc: pumpkin seeds: seafood and lean red meat
- Omega-3 fatty acids: fatty fish, chia seeds and walnuts
- Garlic and turmeric
- Probiotic rich foods: yoghurt, kefir, kimchi, miso and sauerkraut
- Ditch packet sauces and stick to lemon juice, garlic, ginger, turmeric, fresh herbs and salt-reduced tamari/soy to flavour food.
- Increase intake of fruits and vegetables with a high water content if you struggle to drink enough fluids daily. Some examples include; strawberries, lettuce, cucumber, zucchini and watermelon.
- Include bitter foods at each meal including rocket, watercress and radicchio to help stimulate digestive enzymes.
- Spring clean your pantry and remove any foods, which no longer make you feel good or serve your health goals!
A version of this article originally appeared on Lorna Jane’s website, www.movenourishbelieve.com.