Your microwave oven is more versatile than you think!
Did you spend quite a bit on that sleek microwave oven for your brand new kitchen? There are more uses to it than reheating food. Here are some microwave oven hacks every homeowner should know.
- Instead of soaking beans and lentils overnight, simply submerge them in a bowl of water, along with a pinch of bicarbonate soda and microwave at high temperature for 10 minutes. Let stand for another 40 minutes.
- To get the skins off tomatoes and peaches easily, place them in a microwave and heat at medium temperature for 30 seconds.
- To soften brown sugar, place a damp paper towel in the container, and close tightly. Microwave it at medium temperature for 30 seconds.
- Get more juice out of your citrus fruits by first heating them at medium temperature for 20 seconds in a microwave.
- Chop your onions without crying by trimming off the ends, and microwaving them at medium temperature for 30 seconds. Remove them from the oven and chop immediately.
- To remove a stamp from an envelope, simply place two drops of water on the stamp before microwaving it at medium temperature for 20 seconds.
- Disinfect your cutting board in a microwave oven by rubbing a cut lemon all over the cutting surface, and then microwaving it on medium heat for 60 seconds.
- Did you know that you can disinfect your potting soil in a microwave? Place 400g of potting soil onto a flat dish and microwave it for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
A version of this article originally appeared on www.homeanddecor.com.sg.