Have an extra snooze instead of cafe-hopping over the weekend, but still have your usual insta-worthy brunch – in bed! Impress your other half by making these dishes created by Jo Ann Ng, owner of Vanilla Bar & Cafe.
BRUNCH RECIPE: BAKED EGGS IN AVOCADO
The combination of half-runny yolk and smooth, creamy avocado is simply divine. Avocado gives you a healthy dose of monounsaturated fat and beta-sitosterol, a plant substance that lowers bad cholesterol.
Serves 2 | Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Total Time: 30 Minutes
2 small eggs
1 medium or large ripe avocado
1 pinch sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
1 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp Tabasco sauce (optional)
2 slices wholemeal or multigrain bread, toasted
5 fresh cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Preheat oven to 200 deg C.
2. Crack eggs into a bowl and set aside. Be careful not to break the yolks.
3. Cut avocado in half and remove seed. You should be able to fit a yolk in its place. Scoop out some flesh if the cavity looks too small.
4. In an oven-friendly bowl, rest the avocado halves against the edge of the bowl with the cut side facing upwards. This keeps each half from tilting and spilling the eggs.
5. With a spoon, scoop out a yolk and place it into the cavity of one avocado half. Add egg white until the cavity is full. Do the same for the other avocado half. Sprinkle sea salt and black pepper over eggs.
6. Bake for about 10 minutes (more or less depending on the sizes of the eggs and avocado) at 200 deg C. Cook egg to your desired doneness.
7. Remove avocado halves from oven and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Serve with toast, sliced cherry tomatoes and Tabasco sauce for more kick.
Nutrition Score Per Serving 411kcal, 12.1g protein, 27.3g fat (5.9g saturated), 16.8g carbs, 5.1g dietary fibre, 155mg cholesterol, 470mg sodium