Smart storage solutions, preparation methods, plus cooking and baking advice from chefs, experts and other experienced cooks.
Minced garlic can be stored with oil in the fridge for one month. (Photo: PublicDomainPictures / www.pixabay.com)
SMART STORAGE SOLUTIONS
1. Easy Kitchen Hack: Handy garlic mix
Combine minced garlic with oil and store in a jar. This saves you the hassle of peeling and chopping garlic every time you need it. The oil slows down the oxidation of garlic. The mixture can keep for up to a month in the fridge.
– Ee Ming Hwa, chef de cuisine of DOMVS, The Italian Restaurant, Sheraton Towers Singapore Hotel
2. Easy Kitchen Hack: Keep herbs fresh for longer
Wrap them in a wet paper towel and store in the fridge crisper (fruits and vegetables compartment).
– Stephane Cocu, chef de cuisine, The Waterfall, Shangri-la Hotel, Singapore
3. Easy Kitchen Hack: Make fresh prawns last longer
Sprinkle with sugar, wrap in newspaper and freeze. The prawns will stay fresh for up to one month.
– Lee Huihui, homemaker
4. Easy Kitchen Hack: Keep tea leaves fresh
Buy loose leaves one canister at a time as fresh leaves are best kept for only six months. Once opened, store in an airtight container at room temperature. If you won’t be using the leaves for some time, store the container in the crisper.
– Vincent Low, tea master at Yixing Xuan Teahouse
Simple ways to stop the tears and odour from onion peeling: Chill the bulbs, use a sharp knife and wet hands with vinegar or lemon juice. (Photo: stevepb / www.pixabay.com)
EASY PREPARATION METHODS
5. Easy Kitchen Hack: No more tears from onions
Chill onions in the fridge before peeling and slicing to slow down the release of propanethiol S-oxide, the gas that irritates the eyes. And use a sharp knife to avoid crushing the onions.
– Davide Bizzarri, chef of Palio, Resorts World Sentosa
6. Easy Kitchen Hack: Prevent onion odour
Wet hands with vinegar or lemon juice before slicing them.
– Simone Cerea, executive chef, Regent Singapore
Next: Nifty cooking and baking tips