Freebie alert: Model, host and yoga instructor Liv Lo gives us a gruelling sample of her Fitsphere programme. Be prepared to sweat buckets!
There are yoga sessions, and there are yoga sessions with weights. “I didn’t just want to do traditional yoga,” Liv says. “Yoga is a mental game, but once you add weights, it becomes more physical. They’re efficient, are great for lean muscle building and resistance training.”
This is a full body workout in the literal sense of the word. “Each movement is designed to work out your entire body instead of being focused on one body part at a time,” she explains. So instead of doing a set of crunches (that only work the core) and moving to a different part of the body, you’re powering through a holistic workout. “You could be working on the strength in your upper body, your flexibility, and opening up the hips and rotating the thigh, all at the same time.” It’s way more effcient, and more than gets the job done.
Liv Lo demonstrates the moves in this workout video.
Complete as many reps as possible in 30 seconds before moving to the next movement. Do the total set on one leg to the floor, stand up and work on the other leg.
- An exercise mat
- If you don’t have fit spheres, a set of weights you can manage – even filled water bottles are fine!
1. Tricep High Lunge[A] Stand in a high lunge with left leg back, and hold your fit sphere behind your head. Squeeze elbows in. [B] Straighten your arms overhead while keeping your back leg straight and your heel over the toes. Make sure your hips are squared. Repeat the overhead tricep extensions for 30 seconds.
2. Beat the High Lunge[A] Keep the left leg back in a high lunge. Extend your arms directly in front of you, while keeping your shoulders squared. [B] Pulse arms up and down to the second – 15 pulses with palms up, 15 pulses with palms down.
Tip: As you get tired, a common mistake is to tense up the neck and shoulders. Think of keeping your shoulders down and extending your spine.
(Also read: 10 Lunge Variations For Longer And Leaner Legs)
3. Dynamic Pyramid Forward Fold
Straighten the right leg now so your arms form a triangle with the floor. Square your hips and point your back foot 45 degrees. If your knees are not straight, step the back foot in to narrow your stance.[A] Pull your core in as you lean your body forward. Extend your arms behind so that they are in line with your spine. [B] Bend your arms towards the chest in a bicep curl.
Scale up: Extend your arms behind and pulse them over the hips.
4. In and Out Weighted Squat[A] Place your feet slightly more than shoulder width apart, and come down to squat with your hands touching the floor (if you can) with back flat. Make sure you’re sitting back with a straight spine and open chest. [B] As you squat and stand, alternate touching the floor in the middle and outside your feet.
5. Flying Warrior 3[A] Position yourself in a Warrior 3 pose, balancing on the left leg as your torso and back leg are in a straight line. Extend your arms such that your biceps are next to the ears. [B] Draw a semi-circle with your arms towards your hips, before raising them again in the same circular motion. Repeat.
6. Donkey Kicks
Get on all fours with your hands under your shoulders and knees under the hips. Option: Place a weight in the nook of the right knee.[A] Balance with the weighted right leg off the ground such that your knee is as high as the hip. Squeeze glutes as you give the weight a small lift to pulse. Keep your hips squared. [B] Pulse up for 30 seconds.
7. Fire Hydrant[A] Stay on all fours with your hands under the shoulders and your knees under the hips. Option: continue with a weight in the nook of your right knee. [B] Hovering the right knee in a bent position, point your toes and open the knee away from the body. Lower the knee to hover and repeat.
8. Renegade Row[A] Hold your body in a plank position, holding the fit spheres beneath your shoulders. Otherwise, balance on your palms. [B] Pull one weight towards your chest while maintaining the plank position. Return the weight to the floor and repeat on the other side.
Scale down: Remove the weights and do shoulder taps while holding plank.
(Also read: Plank Variations: 20 Ways to Do Planks)
9. Fitter Low Boat
Sit with your feet in front of you. Lower your back while keeping your head and shoulders off the floor.[A] Keep your legs off the ground while holding your arms out in front of you. [B] Pulse straight arms with fit spheres in palms facing up for 15 seconds, then down for 15 seconds while holding the posture.